Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tomato Harvest


I picked a bunch of my ripe yellow pear-shaped cherry tomatoes and received a bag full of garden tomatoes (heirloom and roma) from the bf's Mom and Dad.



What to do...



What to do...



I like tomatoes fine, but sometimes when they are everywhere and coming from everywhere, it gets difficult being creative. I LOVE the thought of roasted tomatoes and had this fantastic idea that I would make a roasted tomato sauce of some sort... either straight tomato with herbs and garnishes or a rose sauce.



At lunchtime today I decided to go ahead and throw the tomatoes in the oven, and wow did the house smell good. I started off with sauce in mind and upon looking in the cupboard and finding NO PASTA!!??!!!??? I decided to try to make a soup.


I quartered the red tomatoes and left the yellow ones whole and tossed them with salt, pepper, olive oil and a little thyme (no fresh basil on hand, otherwise I would have used that) and roasted them for about an hour in a 350 degree oven. The juices came out, some evaporated and what came out of the oven at the end was a delicious mix of the sweetest roast tomatoes I ever tasted.



I threw the tomatoes into a sieve and pushed them through. I then put the smooth roasted tomato goodness into a saucepan and added a bit of half and half and some water (I prefer the creaminess of the half and half and the sodium free quality of the water) to thin it out and make it a cream soup. I added some more seasoning including a dash of white wine vinegar, which really did bring out some more of those flavours and balance out that sweetness. Oh my. I heated it up a bit more and it was just awesome. Like a bisque.






No comments:

Post a Comment